While Rangers were still calling Burnbank their home they took a trip to play Clydesdale at their ground Kinning Park. They must have been impressed because when a little time later when Clydesdale moved to a new ground at Titwood a ground where they can be found to this very day although now only as a cricket club. Rangers took over the lease on the ground. Kinning Park was a proper ground it had a grandstand a club house everything a club could want. The ground was to remain home for ten years. The ground capacity at this time was 2000 but over the following seasons was increased to 7000 Sloping ash terraces were added and improvements were made to the pitch. Vale of Leven were again the visitors to the opening of a new Rangers ground winning 2-1 the last official match was an English FA Cup tie against Old Westminsters Rangers winning 5-1.
When the Landlords at Kinning Park hinted that they would like the land back for redevelopment. Rangers were soon on the lookout for a new home. The Ibrox area of the city was soon chosen with the city expanding and the city tramcars also covering more miles it seemed a good choice. The new site was secured on a ten year lease and the club set to work on building a new ground. They employed the services of Glasgow Architect John Gordon who along with contractors Fred Braby & Company set to work. The ground they built was very advanced for its day the grandstand had enough space to seat 1200 spectators. It was covered by a curved roof with a semi circular gable in the middle the stand consisted of 16 rows of bench seating.
It had been Rangers intension of fostering athletics. And indeed the annual Rangers Sports were a very important athletics fixture for many decades. The Track was surrounded by a painted white wooden rail to keep the spectators off the pitch. The whole site was enclosed by a Corrugated iron sheeting fence. A club Pavilion was also sited within the grounds this held changing rooms a committee room and baths. The SFA Annual of 1887-88 season included an advert from the contractors which read Fred Braby & Co Limited Engineers and Contractors Petershill Glasgow Rangers Football Club Ground Grand Stand to seat upwards of 1200 persons, Commodious Pavilion of Galvaninised and Corrugated Iron and wood Ground enclosed with substantial paling formed of their Galvanised and corrugated Iron Sheets fixed to wood framing thus making it strong and unclimable from outside.
North Eastern League
When the Southern League was formed for season 1940-41 an equivalent for the Northern teams was put on hold. The new league eventually kicked off in season 1941-42. The league included a Rangers reserves team. Because there were few clubs taking part 2 championships were held each season. The League also ran 2 cup competitions which were ran over over the autumn and spring. The last season of the league was 1944-45 the clubs then joined the Southern League for one last season before recommencement of the Scottish League.